AIR NAMIBIA OPERATIONS CONTINUE UNHINDERED
This Trade Release aims to respond to recent media articles speculating that Air Namibia’s operations might cease. This statement further aims to restore our passengers’ and all key stakeholders confidence in Air Namibia and its service offering.
- Air Namibia continues to operate as per its mandate, transporting passengers and cargo between domestic destinations, the rest of southern Africa and Europe, via Frankfurt.
- We wish to reassure our clients and all stakeholders that, our flights continue to operate according to our published flight schedule.
- Air Namibia is of strategic importance to the economy, contributing enormously to the tourism sector, the third largest contributor to Namibia’s GDP.
- This is confirmed in national development plans, with reference to the 5th Namibia Development Plan (NDP5), which underlines “Logistics as one of the driving forces.” It is further confirmed in the airline’s mission statement which states, “To provide air transport, to promote tourism and to encourage business investment in Namibia”.
- The Government of the Republic of Namibia (GRN) which is the sole shareholder of Air Namibia confirmed their continued support, amongst others through the targeted subsidy allocations as announced last week by Hon Calle Schlettwein, Minister of Finance in the National Assembly as follows:
- N$740 million for 2018/19
- N$676 million for 2019/20
- N$698 million for 2020/21
The continued financial assistance provides testimony that the Government of the Republic of Namibia rallies behind its national airline due to its strategic importance to the economy.
- Therefore, some recent media reports suggesting that Air Namibia may collapse are unfounded, untrue and devoid of any truth.
- We thank your for your continued support.
- Thank you for choosing Air Namibia as the preferred airline of choice.